The nights are starting to draw in quite quickly now; dark for 20:15. The past 2-weeks have seen a lot of rainfall and temperatures have been noticeably cooling.
Work carried out over the past week:
- Grass height before cutting at 40mm = most at 75mm; some to 100mm;
- Soil temperature: 15C; Air temperature: 19C (time recorded = 5pm)
- 1 full box of grass clippings
Intensive hand raking in the top area of the lawn to remove some moss which had started to creep back into the lawn; this was particularly noticeable at the edges of the lawn which are sheltered and slightly overhung by some plants. About 3 minutes of vigorous raking and that was plenty for this area.
As you can see the lawn edge still needs a trim with the edging shears – I will get around to it in due course!
I had to wait a bit longer than anticipated before I could get this cut in due to the rain we had been having.
- Grass height before cutting at 40mm = most at 75-80mm; some to 90mm;
- Soil temperature: 16.9C; Air temperature: 16.2C (time recorded = 5.15pm)
- 1/2 box of grass clippings
There was a heavy shower during the day, but it eased off in then afternoon and dried quite well.
A grey squirrel had dug a reasonable sized hole in the lawn (about 50mm diameter and the same 50mm in depth) so this need a minor repair with some topsoil infill and a light covering of some grass clippings. Just another issue that will need to be monitored for a while I expect.
Chris Gray, 10th September 2017